Saturday, August 1, 2009

Misadventures in Potty Training

Brace yourself. Are you ready?

3 out of my 4 children....

are in...

diapers.

Yep that's right, nearly 80% of my day is consumed with wiping poopy butts and occasionally wrangling the naked run-a-way child.

A huge chunk of my grocery bill every 2 weeks goes towards wipes,diapers and pull-ups.

My 3 year old was ready to be trained at one point.

But then the complications with my pregnancy and the birth of Noah kinda put that on the back burner.

He has a potty chair. Granted he uses the bowl as a hat...but atleast he acknowledges its existance.

Back when we first started potty training him, we bought his some Thomas The Train undies. He loves Thomas, so brilliant me thought it would be a grand idea to get him some and tell him to not pee on Thomas, he won't like being wet.

Ya, that did not work so well. 24 hours after purchasing the underwear, I found my 3 year old standing at the top of the stairs butt naked. Peeing. Down. The. Stairs! "Where's your underwear?" "Me not pee on Thomas, he dont want to get wet..."

Well atleast I didn't have to wash dirty underwear.

Potty training is a bit of an adventure in my house. My 2 year old always wants to follow her brother in the bathroom, which wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't so damn curious!

"Bubba whats that.."

I am not ready to explain the logistics of the human body to my daughter just yet

I watched a Dr. Phil episode on Potty Training. He recommends using a doll that pees to show your child how to go potty.

I think that would just lead to feelings of inadequacy. I mean how would you feel if a $20 doll could pee in the potty and you couldn't...hmmm???

People tell me not to push him, he will go when he's ready.

Yea, he will go when he's ready...on the floor, in the mop bucket, on his brother, everywhere but where he supposed to.

Ahhh...the joys of potty training.

He will get it...eventually


3 comments:

  1. I know all about the curious 2 year old girl....mine wants to potty standing up like her big brother (she makes the nice sound effects and all).

    And 3 in diapers? I feel for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having some serious misadventures in potty training here too ~ but thank heaven I only have one to contend with.

    We're using the good old m&ms, but they are not as effective as they used to be. hmmm...

    I keep hearing kids have never gone to college in diapers, so hopefully we'll master things well before that. :)

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going through a similar situation with my 3 and 1/2 year old. About a month ago, I thought he was going to go to kindergarten in diapers. Things are starting to turn around. FINALLY. Check out my blog on potty training our 3 yr old at http://www.hustads.com/big-boy-pants-success/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!!!

Swidget 1.0

 
ss_blog_claim=b2f5a838f577da25f0af680a88371fc8